Chances are you know someone who doesn’t believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ. They simply don’t believe the bible. So you and I have to get them thinking about the evidence outside of the scriptures.
Not only are we told plainly in the word of God, (which is absolute truth from cover to cover), that Jesus rose from the dead. (Acts 1:3, 2:32, 10:38-41, 13:30-31, 13:37, Matt.28:6-7, Eph.1:20, Heb. 13:20 to name a few.)
But we have proof outside of the bible as well. The life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ are historical facts, backed up by historical evidence. Here are 6 proofs of the resurrection:
- The empty tomb– So many security precautions were taken with the sealing and guarding of Christ’s tomb that is very difficult for someone to prove that Christ didn’t rise from the dead. Both Jewish and Roman sources and traditions admit to an empty tomb. So if the tomb is empty, where did the body go?
- The Roman seal was broken– Which meant automatic execution by crucifixion upside down if caught. People feared breaking the Roman seal it’s not likely that anyone in their right mind would have done that- especially not the disciples who had run off when Jesus was apprehended in the garden before his mock trial.
- The stone was rolled away– The stone that was in front of the opening to the tomb where Jesus was laid was a 1-2 ton stone. Not easily moved without the knowledge of the Roman guards who were assigned to keep watch over the tomb.
- The grave clothes–In John 20:6-7 and Luke 24:12, the grave clothes are mentioned as being left in the tomb. If someone were bold enough to risk certain death, and powerful enough to roll away that enormous stone, and stole the body, they wouldn’t have taken the time to unwrap him from his grave clothes and fold them neatly. They would’ve been in a mad rush to get him and get out before getting caught and put to death.
- The witnesses– In 1Corinthians 15, Paul says that the resurrected Christ was seen by the disciples and by more than 500 eyewitnesses at one time who were likely still alive at the time Paul was writing this letter to the Corinthian church. Eyewitnesses are one of the most important elements to solving crimes and mysteries. To have this many people recorded as seeing the resurrected Lord is amazing evidence.
- Changed Lives–The once cowardly disciples were now bold to share the message of the life, death, and resurrection of their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. They were completely loyal to Him because they had seen the risen Lord. They believed that he was who he said he was and that he did what he said he would do. Every conceivable method was used to try to stop them from sharing the gospel. They were beaten, stoned, thrown to lions, tortured, crucified, and burned alive. This shows their complete confidence in the truth of the message they shared. They had nothing to gain and everything to lose here on earth, so they could gain eternal reward in heaven for a faithful life lived for the glory of the Lord who bought them with his own blood.
I think that it takes more faith to stand against the resurrection than for it. There’s just too much evidence to prove that Jesus did in fact rise from the dead.
Belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is necessary for salvation. If you don’t believe it, you’re not a Christian, plain and simple. Romans 10:9~That if thou shalt confess with th mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 1Corinthians 15:12-19~Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
Pray for those who don’t believe, whose hearts have been hardened, and eyes have been blinded, whose ears don’t want to hear the truth. Share the scriptures and the historical evidence. Let your transformed life speak of the miraculous power of God to raise the dead to life.
~Revelation 1:18~ “I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.” ~ JESUS