Lately I’ve been joining groups on social media to connect with other like-minded bloggers, so that I can learn from them and network with them. One of the things I’ve been asked on several of them is to give a snippet of who I am and what my ministry is about. I don’t know if you find it difficult to narrow your identity down to a few sentences or not, but I do! It’s not something I particularly care for, but it’s necessary.
In the book of John, Jesus did the same thing. His “about me” section included seven statements that reveal to the world who he is. He started them all with the two words – “I am”, and they’re fabulous!
If you read my last blog post titled Secure in the Savior, you know that I recommended both the Psalms and the book of John as reading that will help build Savior-confidence to get victory over insecurity. Here I’ve paired some of the verses from Psalms with the seven “I Am” statements that Jesus made in the book of John.
- The Bread of Life~ John 6:35- And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. Psalm 73:26- My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. He is our sufficiency! He alone can satisfy the deep needs of the soul.
- The Light of the World~ John 8:12-Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shll not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. Psalm 18:28~ For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness. He lights up the darkness of uncertainty, unpopularity, and unknowns.
- The Door~ John 10:7-Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. Psalm 100:3~Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Shepherds build a pen for their sheep to sleep in at night, with one gate as the door for entry. They name and lovingly care for their precious flock. At night they call each by name and stand at the gate to check them carefully before putting them in the pen. When they’re all checked, he sits at the entrance to the pen to guard them through the night. If you have answered the call to salvation, you are one of the Lord’s sheep, he knows your name. In fact, he made you and named you himself! You are not invisible or insignificant. Even if no one around you cares to befriend you, be confident of your Savior’s intimate knowledge of your every detail. He is our protector, and caretaker. This passage also reminds us that Jesus is the only One who can allow us entrance into heaven and grant us eternal life and a place in the Kingdom. There is no other way to God than through faith in Jesus Christ.
- The Good Shepherd~ John 10:11- I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. Psalm 23~ The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. God is our provider, leader, restorer, and comforter.
- The Resurrection and the Life~ John 11:25- Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: Psalm 49:15-But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah. God holds the power to bring the dead to life!
- The Way, the Truth, and the Life ~John 14:6- Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the lie: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Psalm 86:11~ Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. The Lord holds all knowledge. This scripture should be a consistent prayer to remind us to fear the Lord and not man. To walk with Jesus on the right path, in truth, and enjoy the abundant life he died to give us.
- The True Vine~ John 15:1- I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Psalm 121:5- The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. God is our source of all life, strength, stability, and fruitfulness. Apart from him we can do nothing, but through him, we can do all things.
With all of these “I am” statements that Jesus makes, he’s saying: “That’s it, I am all you need. Everything you’ve been searching for- It’s in me. I am that I am, the self existing One, the God of all creation and I want you to be my sheep. I want you to hear my voice and follow it. I want you to believe in me and trust my words. Don’t trust your heart, or your looks, your abilities or talents. Don’t rely on your friends or family or anyone else but me.”
We just have to take the time to read his “about me” section!
~Exodus 3:14~ And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.