Well it’s day two of the new year and I finally have my #oneword. Like several of you I’ve decided to forgo resolutions and focus on just one word for the year. After much prayer, and several applicable and awesome words, I finally settled on the best word for me in this season of life, and that is delight.
I chose delight because it’s the one word that God kept bringing me back to over and over again. More than anything else, I desire to bring God glory with my life. One way to ensure that I do that, is to delight in Him.
~Psalm 37:4~ Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
According to blueletterbible.org delight means to be happy about, and take exquisite delight in. Merriam-Webster defines delight as a high degree of gratification or pleasure, joy, and extreme satisfaction.
The Lord wants us to find happiness, gratification, pleasure, joy, and extreme satisfaction in Him. Not in food, family, or friends, but in fellowship with Him.
He wants us to go to the source, to be filled to overflowing so we have everything we need to pour out on those he’s entrusted us with ministering to.
The word delight is found in 50 verses in the KJV. Some of my favorites are:
- Psalm 94:19~ In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul. When we’re overcome with worry and have runaway thoughts, it’s helpful to talk it out with friends or family, but only the Lord and his word can bring true peace of mind and pleasure of soul.
- Psalm 119:16~ I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word. Instead of turning to my phone or to-do list, I need to remember to put time in reading and studying the word first. I just read a blog post by Gretchen Saffles from Well Watered Women about putting the #wordbeforeworld. You can read it here: http://wellwateredwomen.com/blog/i-resolve-2018-wordbeforeworld
- Song of Solomon 2:3~ As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste. Instead of looking for satisfaction elsewhere, I need to sit under the shadow of my Savior who satisfies my soul with his affection, shades me from the heat of affliction, and sweetens my heart with his attention.
Delight isn’t just for us, there are a few places that delight pertains to the Lord. Here are a few:
- Proverbs 11:1~ A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight. The Lord delights in fairness and justice, as he is a just Judge. He gets great pleasure from us doing the right thing, and maintaining a proper balance in life.
- Proverbs 12:22~ Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight. I had my kids memorize this verse early on, as their natural sinful tendency is to lie to keep themselves out of trouble. Instead of confessing their wrongdoing, they would hide it or blame their siblings. It’s not just important for our kids to know this verse though. We need to deal truly in life, and be honest with ourselves and others. Prov. 28:13, 1John 1:9.
- 1Samuel 15:22-23~ And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king. The Lord, as a perfect Father, delights in obedience. Stubbornness is viewed by God as iniquity and idolatry because it exalts my will above the Lord’s. I could sacrifice so much for him, but if I ignored his gentle prompting to give him preeminence, I’d be in rebellion.
Simply put, the Lord delights in integrity. He wants our life to line up with his word, for us to be women of character. As we start a new year, it’s the perfect time to examine our walk and see where God wants us to improve to bring him greater glory.
If I had to sum up my walk with the Lord in the past few months, the one word that would characterize me lately would be distracted. That needs to change.
Social media, shopping, shows on Netflix… they’ve all stolen my attention from my Savior. And he wants it back. Hence delight.
Despite my failures the Lord remains faithful, compassionate, and gracious, because that is who he is. He is such a good God!
~Psalm 103:14~ For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
I’m going to delight in the Lord by being intentional to spend time in the word before anything else gets my attention. I’ll delight in him by replacing worry with prayer, complaining with praise, and fear with faith. I’ll choose to feed my Spirit with the scriptures, solid biblical teaching, and spiritual songs instead of catering to the lusts of my flesh.
I’m not always going to get it right, and neither are you. We’ll make wrong choices and be inconsistent. At times our #oneword will be forgotten.
No matter how many times we mess up, God’s mercy endures forever. God restores us to right fellowship when we repent of our foolishness.
~Psalm 130:4~ But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.
We don’t want to look back at the end of 2018 with regret. Let’s be diligent to seek his face, disciplined over our flesh, and determined to be killin’ it all year long!
Ditch the distractions and delight in the Lord. He is worthy!
~Psalm 119:35~ Make me go in the path of thy commandments, which I have loved.